Debzy45
Greenie N00B Member
Hey team, I recently purchased a 2006 MazdaSpeed 3 with a faulty clutch. I originally thought the master cylinder was leaking internally, as the clutch fork was only travelling around 10mm and the clutch wouldn’t disengage.
Since then, I’ve replaced the master cylinder and now have around 14mm of fork travel. Initially, the clutch pedal felt completely normal with the engine on and off. At one point, before replacing the master cylinder, I actually managed to get the clutch working again by repeatedly pumping the pedal, but it failed again after a few drives, which is what led me to replace the master cylinder.
I’m now getting a gritty feeling through the clutch pedal when pressing and releasing it with the engine running. If I start the car in gear with the clutch pedal fully down, I can shift into any gear while the engine is running. However, if I put it into neutral and pump the clutch pedal, it starts feeling gritty and loses pressure, and I can no longer engage any gears.
So far I’ve:
At this point I’m thinking it could be something mechanical with the clutch/release bearing, but I’d really appreciate your opinion on what could be causing it and whether you’d be able to take a look at it.
Since then, I’ve replaced the master cylinder and now have around 14mm of fork travel. Initially, the clutch pedal felt completely normal with the engine on and off. At one point, before replacing the master cylinder, I actually managed to get the clutch working again by repeatedly pumping the pedal, but it failed again after a few drives, which is what led me to replace the master cylinder.
I’m now getting a gritty feeling through the clutch pedal when pressing and releasing it with the engine running. If I start the car in gear with the clutch pedal fully down, I can shift into any gear while the engine is running. However, if I put it into neutral and pump the clutch pedal, it starts feeling gritty and loses pressure, and I can no longer engage any gears.
So far I’ve:
- Replaced the clutch and brake fluid completely
- Replaced the clutch master cylinder
- Bled the clutch system
- Used a funnel/reservoir setup while bleeding to make sure the system doesn’t suck in air
At this point I’m thinking it could be something mechanical with the clutch/release bearing, but I’d really appreciate your opinion on what could be causing it and whether you’d be able to take a look at it.